Stop at the corner of E. 4th and Market streets. People often comment on the width of Market St. The original settlers had visions of creating a city that rivaled Philadelphia. With this optimism, they built their Market St. 10-feet wider than Market St. in Philadelphia.
Imagine a large, two-story Market House in the center of the intersection. It was used for approximately 50 years after its construction in 1856. The lower floors held eight stalls for butchers and provisioners, and the fire engine was housed here. A central passageway through the building allowed an average wagon to pass through. Market hours were from daybreak until 12 noon. The large second floor consisted of one large hall that served as city hall and for public meetings. In 1906, the city hall was relocated to the building that still stands in the center of Market St. at W. 2nd St. (two blocks north).