The Festhalle was renovated in 1987 as part of Hermannhof Winery. It is used for festivals and special events.
One-half block east of the Festhalle is Hermannhof Winery. The winery building was constructed in the 1840s. From 1848-1852 it was a winery and brewery. Initially wine making was a small part of this successful Kropp's Brewery, which was producing 4,000 barrels of beer annually by 1888. Wine making began again in 1978 when Jim Dierberg restored the building and its stone cellars. The winery now produces many award-winning wines. It is open daily for tours of the cellars and wine tastings.
At the mouth of Frene Creek near the winery, the first German settlers spent the winter of 1837. They found a widow, Polly Phillips, in a one-room log cabin, and the Hensley family in another. These kind folks took in the 17 settlers and gave them shelter until they could construct their own housing the following spring.
On the southwest corner of E. 1st and Gutenberg is the Hermann Star Mills building, Hermann's skyscraper. The four and one-half story mill was constructed in 1860 at a cost of $40,000. It had a capacity of 160 barrels of flour per day. By the 1880s, the mill produced 240 barrels of flour per day. It currently houses Oncken's Machine Shop.