Religion has always played an important role in the lives of Hermann townsfolk. Two of Hermann's oldest churches, St. George Catholic Church and St. Paul United Church of Christ, are visible from Hermann Hill's guestrooms. The formation of these churches can be traced to the arrival of the first settlers here in 1837.
In typical German style, the churches are perched on the top of hills and can be seen from miles around. St. Paul United Church of Christ is on W. First Street and St. George Catholic Church is on W. Fourth St. They are popular stops along Hermann Hill's three-mile walk. Visitors are always welcome at both churches.