calendar specials facebook blog Google+ news email
This site is located on our 3-Mile Walk

Deutschheim (“German home”) State Historic Site preserves and interprets the culture, heritage and traditions of German immigrants to Missouri in the 19th century.   Operated by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, the historic site was made possible by the donation in 1978 of two historic 1840 buildings by the Hermann Brush and Palette Club, a local preservation group.  Visitors to the site enjoy a guided a tour of two historic 1840s houses, hear about the settlement of Missouri by German immigrants, their culture, language and contributions to the State.   The Pommer-Gentner house was built in 1840 for Caroline Pommer and is one of the oldest buildings in Hermann.  It features Beidermeier furnishings that reflect the life of a merchant family of the 1830s and 1840s.   The Pommer and Gentner families were among the founders of Hermann; the Pommers were makers of fine piano-fortes in Philadelphia and the Gentners among the first settlers arriving in 1837.

The Carl Strehly house is a rare treasure, with all the original furnishings and household items of a family of moderate means, dating back to their arrival in Hermann in 1843.   The original three room house was constructed in 1842 and for the next 27 years it was enlarged to accommodate a growing family and their businesses.  Its lower level housed a printing business that provided the community with two German-language newspapers from 1843-1855. In the late 1850s, a winery with arched brick wine cellar was added.  One hundred year old grapevines still climb an arbor running the length of the rear yard.

Deutschheim sponsors several special events throughout the year.  The first weekend in June is the annual Garden Tour at the Pommer-Gentner House, featuring a four square gemusegarten with heirloom varieties grown as they were in the 19th century.   The first two weekends in December the site hosts Weihnachtsfest, an open house celebrating the many German Christmas customs, now part of our Missouri traditions. 

The visitor center and gift shop, located at 107 W. Second Street, is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. seven days a week, April through October.   Interpretive tours begin at 10:00, 12:30 and 2:30 and last about an hour.  The site is open Thursday through Sunday, November through March.  The site is closed for Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.  There is a nominal charge for the interpretive tour.  Special tours for groups of 15 or more are available by calling the site at 573-486-2200. For more information visit the web site at